Friday, April 30, 2010

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother always told me a story. Here is how it goes.
Once upon a time there was a mother who loved her only child immensely. One day the child forgot to take his lunch with him. So she asked her maid who had started the work that very day to go to her son's school during recess and give him his lunch. The maid asked, "but how will I recognise your son...I have only just started working here and there would be so many children there"  The mother smiled and replied,"give this tiffin box to the most adorable child you see". On that note she left. When the child returned from school he complained that he was hungary and he did not get anything to eat during his recess. Mother furiously called the maid and asked her why she did not give the lunch to her son like she was asked to do. She innocently replied,"Madam, you asked me to give this lunch to the most adorable child in the school, so I gave it to my son...because I could not find anyone more adorable than my son.
Her son was squint eyed and dirty with a runny nose.
To most of us it would not be the definition of adorable but to his mother he was indeed the most charming and adorable kid in the whole school. This story stuck with me for a very long time. There are millions of things that we do not find beautiful, but if you look closely everything is beautiful in its own way. Everyday, I look into the magazines, movies, television etc the emphasis is on beauty products, how to get slimmer, tips on how to dress yourself up, on make up, what to wear - what not to wear, what to eat what not to eat. Since when has size 4 become size 10 its just size 4. What is this new craze about being thin? I mean what are these designers trying to do...save money on fabric? And whats with Botox, why can't people just age naturally? the other day I was looking at Nicole kidman's photograph, to me once she was really beautiful, even now she is, but she could have aged into someone like Meryl Streep who with age has just grown more and more beautiful. It shows a true character of a person, who is pretentious and who is not, who welcomes life with open arms and who doesn't. As an artist I find beauty in everything in an old lady or man, in a puddle of water, a fence; everything that is not made up to look beautiful but it is. Look around you, look at the sky, look at the clouds, look at the birds, look at that person sitting next to you, look carefully everyone and everything is beautiful its just how you see. After all beauty does lie in the eyes of the beholder. If you are beautiful from the inside you will find everyone around you beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment