Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lies!

Our whole lives are made up of lies. Good lies, bad lies or just plain lies. I guess you would say that it is a pretty pessimistic approach to life but the only truth is that everyday we lie. We lie to our loved ones, to strangers, to colleagues and to even ourselves.

So, is lying a good thing or a bad thing. In Bhagwat Gita its written that lies told to save someones life or for someones benefit are good lies. But how do you decide which lie is a good or which is bad. Lie is a lie, but sometimes better than truth. I have been working in my restaurant for more than two years and everyday I have witnessed lies either from customers or from staff, friends myself etc. for various reasons like putting up a smile even when we feel that this day could not be any worse, pretending to care about if they should have fish or lamb, seeing married people date other people and anything to everything.
 
Whats the relevance of all this? Well, when I was at work today, I realised how my manager is living a lie. I mean he has built up a whole world where he thinks he is a dictator and he is always right. I think its more delusion than lies. So, anyway, there was secret meeting where we were given an opportunity to say whatever we wanted to say and everything would be 'confidential' somewhere the whole thing got leaked and we were in trouble. Now, my manager thinks that we betrayed, cheated and lied to him. After the meeting when I met him today I confronted him and told him that he has some problems that he needs to work on. Instead of listening to me or anyone of us he insulted us and told us we were not  good enough for him. Which is fine considering that he is upset right now. But while talking to him I realised that he believes that he is always right and everyone around him is stupid. I mean coming from a man who told us that Asia was a 'country' and India was in east asia which is a different continent from asia, a man who ordered us to wipe the water jugs from the outside because he did not understand condensation, I mean seriously?   So, he is lying to himself everyday that he knows best or better than anyone else and because of his delusional attitude most of us have resigned. So, my question is, if you don't talk about something you know...is it still counted as a lie? and which is worse lying to others or lying to ourselves? you answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment