Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy birthday to me!

Another year has passed and my birthday is here again. What is it about birthdays that makes you feel like a child again? Why do all of a sudden we get so excited over our birthdays?
For me its my childhood memories that come back. One of those memories are when I was in third grade I was told by my parents that 'this year we will not celebrate your birthday'. I have to admit back then I was a little disappointed considering I would have missed out on all the gift and presents. So, sad and hurt, grudgingly I went to school, I didn't create too much fuss in front of them but sulked the whole day at school wondering why they refused to celebrate my birthday...did they not love me anymore, was I not important enough for them and few petty thinks like that poisoned my brain. After 7-8 hours of sulking and a very long face I got off the school bus and entered the house with a surprise waiting for me at home. The whole house was decorated with colourful streamers, balloons, games and everything you could think of. Mama had baked the most perfect cake, delicious sweets and all my favourite dishes. I was so happy that I could hardly retain myself. That was first best surprise I ever got.
Then when I reached eighth standard Mama was suffering from cancer. She was admitted in AIIMS hospital and we hadn't seen her in a very long time. That day when I woke up my grandfather had gift for me next to my pillow...it was the watch I had an eye on for a very long time. Papa then later took us to meet Mama...I still remember her frail face, I could not see her smiling as she wore a mask like us, but her eyes sparkled as we entered the room. She was not allowed to hug me as I might be carrying germs and her immunity was not strong enough, but she didn't care about any of that and hugged me anyway. That was more than anything else that I could have prayed for on my birthday that day (that was the last birthday I spent with Mama). After a while we were dropped back at home and Papa went back to Mama. Some of my friend told me that they would be dropping by later in the evening...since I had no plans of celebrating my birthday I didn't have anything fancy at home for them to eat. I didn't tell anyone at home about my friends dropping by and just asked one of the helper to bring some chips and coke. Thats it, thats all I asked them to bring as I didn't know any better. Friends started pouring in, with gift etc. I was in my old jeans and t.shirt. We were playing musical chairs when I saw Papa come in on his scooter with cakes, pastries and all the good stuff. He even got balloons and streamers and all my friends helped in making it look like my birthday. These were a few gestures that made this day special for me every year. And probably thats the reason why I still get excited about my birthdays. Papa has never forgotten to wish me or send me a gift even when I am in australia and he is India. I have the best birthday every year because God has given me every wonderful person in life, a father who is my best friend, grandparents who sacrificed their happiness to take care of us, a sister who is always there for me and last but not the least a new addition to my family my husband whom I love so much. So, on that note Happy birthday and many many happy returns of the day to me.
PS: Yes I have turned older now, I am 27 but I guess you are never too old to celebrate your birthday. My husband took me to Mc Donald's and that was exactly what I wanted right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment