Sunday, May 23, 2010

Catching up with old friends.

Its been long since I last saw them, I have to say I miss them a lot but most of all I miss the things we use to do together. I miss sitting under our college tree bunking classes, I miss having the horrible Rajma chawal everyday under the same tree, I miss driving all the way to Trivani art gallery just to pee. I miss sitting in my car with air conditioning at full blast because its so hot outside. I miss all my friends.
But Harsheet and Kanika, they are the best friends that I have known so far. All three of us so different from one another and yet so close. That is the thing about friendship, sometimes you will be friends with the oddest of people, people you can't relate to, people who can't relate to you and yet you will find this common ground that becomes a platform for your friendship. 
Harsheet  is calm, composed and very mature for her age. I remember Harsheet as a girl who wouldn't eat from the same plate (as friends do), who wore classy clothes with not a hair out of place, who listened to gazals and all the songs that we found boring. She was girly and I was boyish, she was reserved and I was outgoing.  If she was thinking sandals with skirts, I was thinking converse with skirts. We both were nothing like each other and yet we are like soul mates now. We have shared so much that I can't even remember where it all started. We have been through thick and thins. I have seen her change and she has seen me grow up. Either ways we both helped each other become a better person. 
Kanika on the other hand came to my life much later and yet it didn't take much time for me to get close to her. I met her the first time under a tree where she was sitting. She was new to our class and sat there snootily. She had certain airs about her. As overly bubbly as I was, I spoke with her and got a to the point reply from her. She didn't like me much earlier ( no one does...i grow on people like a song which you don't like but if you listen to if enough you will start liking it...ya you got the point). But soon, we found out that we had quite a lot in common. We both had almost the same taste in clothes, we liked the same music but that wasn't all. This girl was tough as a rock from outside but sugar and honey from inside, I will not be exaggerating if I say that people are seriously scared of her exterior (not physical appearance but her attitude). All three of us soon became friends and have been so far (knock on the wood). If I call them up now, they always have time for me. I can go on and on about my problems and they will always listen to me. We can start our conversation from we left it last, probably months ago and yet not feel distant or uncomfortable with each other. We can talk about random stuff and would bot judge each other if we don't know what pole vault is or what is 1/3rd of 15 (ya not the brightest stars in the sky) I don't know what binds us together, but we stick like glue to each other. 
 
 Now, I am far. I can't talk to them like I once use to. I can't just pop in at their places just for a cup of cold coffee. We meet once a year and those days just seems like the best days of my life. We all have changed each other in so many ways, we all have seen each others dark sides, we have seen each other cry and been there for each other. We have taught Harsheet to eat from a friends place, to sit anywhere on the floor without a newspaper, we have taught her how to head bang on rock music, I have learnt to be more sober from both of them, I have learnt that its ANYWAY and not ANYWAYS from Kanika. I have learnt how to pronounce red like a human being and Harsheet has learnt the correct pronunciation of trousers. I don't think Kanika out of the three of us has changed much she is still HOT as ever (she would say that). We have come a long way, I guess thats what true friends there for, to correct you when you are wrong, to trouble you when you don't want to be trouble and yet you will not be troubled, they will take you to watch the movie Black when you are sad, which will make you even more depressed and then spend the whole day cheering you up, they will give you a red rose on valentines day when you don't have a date, they will sleep in your room without air conditioning even if they believe they can't live without it, or punch you in your face if you try to wake them up too early, they understand where you come from and love you anyway, no matter how you pronounce any word or if you wear shoes with skirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment