Thursday, May 20, 2010

Who should pay...me or you?

I was just looking back at the times when my husband and I had just started dating. The question that always bothered me then was; who should pay the bill, when we go out for dinners or lunches. Now, I am not the kind of girl who likes someone else to pay for my meals and he is not the kind of guy who likes the girl to pay the bill when he is around. Every time there would be a tug of war for the bill.
This went on for quite sometime. I had sleepless nights wondering what is the best way to deal with the situation because he would always end up paying for me and I didn't feel comfortable with this situation at all. Now, I know that a lot of you have been in that situation where you don't want to hurt your prospective life partner and you still don't want to make someone else spend on you. What do you do?
We talked about it and decided, we would dutch. The answer was simple but yet so complicated. How much can I dutch if we go to an expensive restaurant those days I used to be on a tight budget. Sometimes, I had to force him to just go to a dhaba (which was a lot of fun) so that I didn't have to spend that much or pack lunch with me and go for picnics. Now, the thing is money is one thing that we don't always talk about with our dates. So, it is also embarrassing to admit that whatever money I am contributing right now is the last bit...I might have to take a bank loan next time we go on a date. But soon, I realised that these things needed to be spoken of  too. If the other person is nice and genuinely interested in you he/she will understand that you feel embarrassed being paid for all the time and you can plan on going to a place that both of you can afford. It does not have to be an expensive place or the best night club, it could be a picnic in a park, walk on india gate, visit to the ancient forts or museum and art galleries. Trust me these things sometimes are more fun than going to an fancy restaurant where  you have to whisper to talk and behave in a particular manner or push your way through the crowd in a club.
Some of my favourite memories are the ones that didn't cost us much, like playing frisbee at India gate, sitting on a water tank watching the planes go buy, going for walks and sitting right next to the road and just talking.
Obviously, after a few months none of us cared for who is going to pay, we both paid, or sometimes he did and sometimes I did. It all became mutual but initially it was a hard and if there is one thing I have learnt is that you can never go wrong paying for your own bills.  I am sure even the guy will appreciate it considering he also might have a limited budget. Go dutch...take the safer road.

No comments:

Post a Comment