Sunday, May 2, 2010

Generation gap.

So, I was passing by a poster of Bonds hammer pants and I realised that I can't wear them. I mean they looked perfectly fine on the young girl who was wearing them but  when I imagined myself wearing them...I looked incredibly stupid. Similarly, when I think about it, I don't care about the latest phones anymore, yes I still use an old Nokia phone which is chipped from various sides, and I have to put it on loud speaker to be able to hear to someone, other than the stares from co- passenger while travelling in trains or trams that i get, it completes the purpose of a phone. Then comes the latest language, I mean I was chatting with a cousin of my husband who is very young and kept using 'Ma' instead of 'my', which made me very uncomfortable, and I wondered if me using the word 'Cool' while chatting may not not be cool enough for him. I am sure that if I were younger this all would have been perfectly normal but right now every time I hear young girls talking about latest shoes, bags and sales bores me. So, is it generation gap?
I was born in a time when colour televisions were just being introduced to homes, when radios were perfectly normal, when people used to still use floppies instead of DVD or USBs, mobiles became common much later before that they were a luxury. My father use to tell me how Radio was a luxury to have then, how they didn't have a television growing up and so on am sure if I speak to my grandparents they will have something that they didn't know of either. 
Now, every child has a mobile, knows only about colour televisions, probably wouldn't even know what a floppy is. Times change so fast that it is hard to keep pace. A time comes when we just stick with our times. What is our time? out times are the best times of our lives, when we enjoy the most. 
My time was when talking to boys was still looked at suspiciously, when late nights were a myth to me, when drinking was out of the question for girls and we wore denim skirts that reached our knees and were still considered short. But when I look back those were good times. 
My sister is growing really fast, from the young 5 year old girl running around in piggy tails she is now a23 year old independent  girl who works late, goes out for late night movies and dinners, wears halters and tubes. All of a sudden I feel concerned about her safety and talk to her about keeping a distance from boys. If this is not generation gap then what is it? My father once said that one has to keep moving with times in order to be not considered obsolete. Surely, he does, he respects culture but believe in not blindly following, he still talks about his times but understand ours, with time he became more of our best friend who listens to us and we can talk about anything with him. And one thing I learnt from him, keep an open mind to be able to move with times and fill the generation gap. Understand where these kids come from   and what there times expects from them. Just because our times were good, doesn't mean theirs can't be better, So what the hell if I would look silly in hammer pants, I can still wear my straight fit jeans and converse shoes and feel comfortable.

What was your time like?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Child
    Wonder when have you grown up to talk of difference in hammer pants,halters, vs straight fit trousers ?if you are old then I am in my grave. But I am still moving which means I am still alive and if that be so then you shall remain that child that you ever was. For us parents times do not change, the way of extending the protecting arm does;not change. You will still be vulnerable when I view you moving out late at night and still give you a peice of my mind on late night parties even though you have a protecting husband. My Ma and your grand ma still wakes me up at 6.30 AM in the morning from deep slumber, which I just went into after a troublesome and cramp filled night to ask how was I feeling and 10 minutes later to ask me what shall I have for my Breakfast. That is how we parents are and no matter how much you grow you shall be a child and treated as such. It is no generation gap but the perceived differece of opinions and outlook. Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, I have seen how Dadu Dadi still get concerned for you when you go out. I guess you are right, for our parents we would still be those children who held your finger to walk, who needed you to hold our bicycle when we were learning to ride. I guess, in some way we all are still learning something in which we need your supervision and protection.

    ReplyDelete